Regulations of MS/MPhil & PhD Program and HEC criteria
REGULATIONS FOR ADMISSION OF MS/MPhil
- Name of Degree:
The Degree of MS/MPhil shall be awarded in Natural Sciences, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts& Languages, Management Sciences and Education subjects taught in the Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur, and its affiliated Colleges/Institutions, subject to the availability of the Faculty, Guide/Co-Guide in the University.
- Nature of Degree:
- The degree shall be comprising a (a) coursework and(b) research work by Thesis.
- Conduct of One Seminar of MS/MPhil Research Scholar:
The MS/MPhil Research scholar will deliver One Seminar on the Research topic, which shall be mandatory (After six months from the date of recommendation of topic/proposal by the Scrutiny Committee). The Dean of the concerned Faculty shall preside over the seminar and the Dean, Director/Chairperson of the concerned Institute/Department, Supervisor and Director, Postgraduate Studies shall prepare the evaluation report. In case the seminar is found not satisfactory; another seminar shall be arranged after 02 months.
- The thesis shall be a piece of work embodying either a discovery of new facts or a fresh interpretation of facts or theories. In either case the work should show the candidate’s capacity for critical examination and judgment.
- The Standard of Degree which indicates the standard of Thesis submitted shall be higher than the Master Degree of Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur.
- Duration of Degree:
The duration of studies for the MS/MPhil Degree for Full Time regular scholars should be 02 years (Minimum) and 04 years (Maximum).
- Course Work:
- The study shall be of four semesters duration, comprising mainly (a) coursework (24 Credit Hours) during 1st&2nd semester and (b) research work(06 Credit Hours) on the topic during the second/last year (3rd & 4th) semesters.
- Every concerned Institute/Department is responsible to design core and elective courses and, for obtaining approval for the same through the proper channel.
- If the research scholar of MS/MPhil Program completes his/ her maximum period of 04 years and unable to qualify for award of MS/MPhil degree then, he/ she shall be liable to get fresh registration in MS/MPhil Program subject to the approval of ASRB.
- 75% attendance is mandatory for appearing in semesters’ examinations for coursework.
- The requirement for award of MS/ MPhil Degree shall be:
- The Scholar shall complete 30 credit hours out of which 24 Credit Hours will be reserved for coursework and 06 Credit hours for Dissertation/ Research Project, which may lead to the award of MS/MPhil/Equivalent Degree.
- The minimum CGPA 3.00 or First Division shall be for MPhil/MS/Equivalent Degree required for admission in PhD.
- Advanced Studies & Research Board in its 58th meeting held on 18.05.2016, vide resolution No.17(G) has approved the policy that the students of MS/MPhil&PhD programs may submit their synopsis immediately within 06 weeks from the date of completion of both semesters without marks sheet subject to the submission of certificate to be issued by concerned Director/Chairmen/In-charges to the effect that the student is appeared in both semesters and the students shall submit the final marks sheet to be issued by the Controller of Examinations at the time or before the submission of thesis.
- Eligibility for Admission:
- BS/BBA/B.Com/BPA (4-years degree)/Sixteen years of schooling (130 credit hours) or M.A/M.Sc/M.Com/MBA/M.Ed/MBBS/LLB Examination in relevant disciplines in 2nd Division at least (50% marks) in the last examination from Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur or equivalent qualification from any other HEC recognized University shall be compulsory for admission in MS/MPhil Program leading to PhD.
- The students having NTS GRE test with a minimum 50% valid score will be exempted from appearing in pre-admission written entry test.
- A test equivalent to GRE general test will be necessary to pass by the candidate for admission to MS/MPhil leading to PhD.
- Departmental Test equal to NTS (GAT/GRE) Test
Uniform policy/criteria for conducting the General test at par with NTS test (GAT/GRE) at University Level to ensure and maintain quality for admissions in MS/MPhil program approved by Advanced Study and Research Board in its 54th meeting held on 20.12.2014 from the academic session 2014-15 and onwards considering the letter No1-340/A&C-Law/HEC/2014/505 dated May 27, 2014 received from Chairman HEC.
- The criteria for admission in MS/MPhil:
- The test/interview/oral test will be conducted by the Committee consisting:
The time recommended for the test will be one hour.
Entry test question paper will comprise of 50 questions.
The breakup of the content of the question paper will be as under.
- The Director/Chairperson of the Institute/ Department concerned.
- Two Senior Teachers of the Institute/Department concerned who are Research Supervisors.
- One expert as a member preferably a Professor with (PhD.) If Professor is not available in the Institute/Department, then one Associate Professor or Assistant Professor with (PhD.) other than Shah Abdul Latif University.
- The Director, Postgraduate Studies.
The candidates who qualify the test will have to undertake oral
- 35 Questions from the major subject.
- 10 Questions form General English.
- 05 Questions from Basic/ Analytical Math.
- Passing marks will be 25 which are 50% of the total.
exam/interview of 20 marks.
For the remaining 30 marks the breakup will be as under:
- Matriculation 05 Marks. i.e. (0.05%x% of Matriculation)
- Intermediate 10 Marks i.e. (0.10%x% of Intermediate)
- Terminal Degree i.e. BS/Master will be 15 marks i.e. (0.15%x%BS/Master)
- Applications for admission to MPhil shall be made on the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by:
In first instance, the candidate will qualify the subject test/GRE test or Departmental test then he/she will be admitted in the MS/ MPhil course as a regular student.
Every MPhil candidate shall submit the prescribed application form duly recommended and signed by the Chairperson/Director and the Dean concerned.
Every student shall pursue his/her Course and research at Institute/Department, Centre and other Institutions within the jurisdiction of the Shah Abdul Latif University and other institutions within the Country or out of the Country with the approval of ASRB for data collection and Research duly recognized for this purpose by ASRB. There shall be NO financial liability on this University.
The registration shall be effective from the date of payment of fees/issuance of notification after recommendation of Chairperson/ Director, the Dean of concerned Faculty.
MPhil students will be required to submit a certificate to the fact that they were fully conversant with one of the foreign languages concerned with the subject of their research.
The Synopsis/Research Proposal of the MS/MPhil scholars (consisting of not more than 700 words)using the prescribed template with the topic approval application/ (Form-B) will be submitted to the Directorate of Postgraduate Studies alongwith soft copies and after getting the Similarity Index Checking Reports from the Directorate of ORIC the same will be sent to the Deans of concerned faculties through the Directors/Chairpersons/ Incharges of the teaching institutes/departments for placing before the Scrutiny Committees. The recommendations of SC will be placed before the Advanced Studies & Research Board (ASRB) for its final approval.(Approved by ASRB vide Resolutions No.17 in its 60th meeting held on 03.05.2017).
Any student who is registered as Scholar shall not under-take any employment during the period of his/her work without the prior permission of the ASRB, and this shall not be applicable on the teachers/employees of the Shah Abdul Latif University or to employee of organization where research work is done.
No student shall, without the prior permission of the ASRB join any other course of studies or appear at any other examination conducted.
Scrutiny Committee (SC):
- GAT (General) test result Score from NTS (if cleared)
- Two attested copies of recent pass-port size Photographs.
- Original Marks Sheet of BS/Master Class alongwith attested copies of Matric to last qualifying examination (Pass & Marks certificates).
- Attested copy of National Identity Card.
- Eligibility certificate (Wherever necessary).
- Enrolment Card Number.
- Service Certificate and No Objection/Spare ability Certificate from the employer (Wherever applicable).
- The Scrutiny Committee shall be comprised of the following members:
- Chairperson/Director concerned (wherever available).
- Two Professors/Associate Professors of the concerned Department/ Institute/Centre. If the Professors/Associate Professors are not available in any Department, an expert in the concerned field may be appointed by the Vice Chancellor on the recommendations of the Chairperson/Dean concerned.
- The Director, Postgraduate Studies.
(The Director of Postgraduate Studies shall attend all the MS/MPhil& PhD Seminars, Meetings of Scrutiny Committees, Comprehensive V. Voce of all the faculties/departments of Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur including all such research activities pertaining to the Directorate and the Signature of Director, Postgraduate Studies on Evaluation Reports/Minutes etc. will be mandatory).
Change of Guide/Co-Guide:
- The ASRB shall approve the students of MS/ MPhil who qualify the GRE/ Subject Test on the recommendation of the Director/ Chairperson and Dean of concerned Faculty of the Institute/Department/ Centre.
- Once a person is enrolled for MPhil, he/she shall complete the coursework of 24 credit hours and select the Research Topic for Research Project under the supervision of approved Research Guide.
- The Research Scholar shall submit his/ her thesis complete. In case of a Supervisor being not available for 02 months or more, alternate arrangement should be made.
- Not more than Five (05) Research Scholars shall be registered under the guidance of a Supervisor in an academic year, provided that the total number of scholars does not exceed Twelve (12) at a time (for both MS/MPhil & PhD degree) but PhD scholars should not exceed from 05.
- Co-Supervisor/Co-Guide is a Teacher/Researcher or an expert who is a PhD holder. In case of collaborative research with approved Organizations, the Supervisor will have to be from the University Department and Co-Supervisor/Co-Guide shall be taken from the collaborative HEC recognized Institute concerned or vice-versa.
- Appointment of Additional Supervisors for MS/MPhil & PhD. scholars shall not be allowed at any stage.
- At the time of submission of MS/MPhil/PhD synopsis, the applicant should submit the justification for the need of co-guide and the Scrutiny Committee shall consider the case in view of the justification.
- The faculty members who possess MS/M.Phil or equivalent degrees experience (with/without thesis) shall be considered for appointment as MS/M.Phil research guide after minimum 5 years of relevant research/teaching/professional experience after getting MS/M.Phil or equivalent degrees and can supervise up to 5 MS/M.Phil or equivalent program students as per policy received from HEC vide letter No. No.1-3/AD-QA/HEC/NQAC(21)/2016/51 dated: March 18, 2016 duly approved by ASRB vide resolution No.4 in its 58th meeting held on 18.05.2016. However, their cases will be processed through the Scrutiny Committee.
Modification/Change of Research Topic:
- In case the candidate desires to change his/her Guide he/she shall have to apply through the Director/Chairperson and the Dean concerned. The “No Objection Certificate” from approved Guide and the willingness of the proposed Guide is necessary; the grounds for such a request shall be clearly specified. But this change of Guide shall be at least TWO months after the approval of Topic. However, in case of emergency or death of Guide the Research Scholar can change his/her guide at any time.
- If the Guide is not satisfied with the progress of the candidate, he may at any time recommend to the ASRB for cancellation of registration to PhD. The decision of the Board shall be final and binding.
A candidate may modify the topic within one year, after the approval of Research Topic from ASRB (before conduct of seminar), with the approval of the Scrutiny Committee on submitting an application; duly forwarded by the Supervisor and recommended by the Director/Chairperson and the Dean of concerned faculty.
Submission of Thesis:
Award of Degree:
- The Research Scholar (Full time) shall be eligible to submit his/her MS/ MPhil Dissertation/ Thesis after completing courses and research work within the approved period (minimum) 02 years for Full Time and 04 years (maximum) period).
- The Language of thesis in case of faculty of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences Arts and Languages, Management Sciences, Education and Law shall be English only. The thesis, which is submitted in languages other than English, must have a summary of the thesis written in English as well.
- Inclusion of the reprints of published work may be optional, but the thesis must be self-contained and cover the whole of the subject matter presented for MS/ MPhil Degree.
- The Supervisor shall certify that the thesis is examined through Plagiarism Software and clear that is worthy of presentation to the University for the MS/ MPhil Degree. The research scholar shall submit that unbounded Thesis (as per approved format) to the office of Director ORIC for obtaining clearance through Plagiarism Software.
- The Research Scholar shall receive the Clearance Certificate from the office of the Director ORIC than he/ she shall submit three unbounded copies of Thesis (11” x 9” size)as per approved format duly certified by Supervisor and forwarded/recommended by the Director/ Chairperson and Dean of concerned faculty.
- The Guide through the Director/Chairperson and Dean of the concerned Faculty shall recommend the panel of 03 names of Experts/External Examiners and ASRB shall appoint one External Examiner for Evaluation of Thesis and conduct of Viva-Voce Examination of the Research Scholar and the Guide shall be Internal Examiner. The name(s) of appointed Expert(s) and 03 copies of MS/MPhil will be sent to the Controller of Examinations for evaluation of thesis and conduct of Viva-Voce Examination. The Thesis and Viva-Voce shall be of 06 credit hours equal to 200 Marks.
- If Expert/ External Examiner give an adverse opinion about a thesis, a second examiner shall be appointed and his/her opinion shall be final.
- The Research Scholar shall incorporate the suggestions given by external examiner(s) (in any) duly certified by Supervisor and shall submit the bounded Thesis (11” x 9” size) 04 Four Copies (alongwith a Softcopy on CD) in dark blue color as per approved format to the Controller of Examination through the concerned Department/ Institute and Dean of faculty.
- The Controller of Examinations, on receipt of report(s) of Examiners shall arrange Viva-Voce examination in office of the Dean concerned faculty to be conducted by the Internal Supervisor and External Examiner after the approval of the Vice Chancellor.
- In case Viva Voce report is not found satisfactory another Viva Voce examination shall be held not before 01 months and not after 02 months and that will be the final examination.
- The Controller of Examinations shall submit the evaluation reports of the examiners and the Viva-Voce examination report before the ASRB. The Board shall recommend the case to the Academic Council about the conferment of MS/MPhil Degree.