Conduct and Discipline of Students
Subject to the provisions of the Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur Act-1986, the following regulations are made with the concurrence of the Vice Chancellor/the Syndicate:
- The Discipline Committee shall meet as and when necessary to consider the reports on matters relating to discipline of students and shall be the final authority to determine whether an act of indiscipline has been proved or not. It shall then advise the Vice Chancellor on the action to be taken in conformity with the regulations that follow.
- Discipline among the students of the University and those of affiliated colleges/post-graduate centers shall be enforced & maintained by the Vice Chancellor.
- The Vice Chancellor shall supervise and control discipline through the following officers:
conditions as the syndicate may determine from time to time.
The Vice Chancellor may appoint Assistant Students Advisor on the recommendation of the Students Advisor or any authorized officer on such terms and conditions as the syndicate may determine.
The following among others, shall constitute acts of in-discipline for which action may be taken against the student or students concerned by the officer mentioned under clause 3:-
- In the Institute through the Directors of the Institutes concerned.
- In the University Teaching Departments through the Directors/Chairpersons of the Teaching Departments.
- In Hostels through the Director/Dean, Students Affairs/Provost.
- In colleges/post-graduate centers through the Principals concerned.
- In Public place and on occasion of public gathering within or outside the University campus through the student Advisor or any other authorized officer of the University.
Punishment or penalty for any of the offence mentioned on the above clauses shall be according to gravity of the case and may be applied one or more offences of the following:
- Breach of any rule of public morals, such as:
- Use of indecent or uncivilized language.
- Use of immodest dress.
- Use of undesirable remarks or gestures.
- Disorderly behavior, such as shouting abusing, quarrelling, fighting & insolence.
- Carrying, using or threatening to use firearms and deadly weapons.
- Defiance of authority
- False presentation or giving false information of willful suppression of information, cheating or deceiving.
- Visiting the place declared “Out of Bounds” for students.
- Visiting, without pass, places which are not to be visited without a pass. Inciting or staging a walkout, a strike or an unauthorized procession.
- Shouting of slogans derogatory to the prestige of the University or the reputation of its officers or teachers.
- Being found under the effect of an intoxicant.
- Action defamatory of and derogatory to Islam and other religions and Pakistan.
- Abetting use of unfair means at an Examination.
- Indulging in activities prejudicial and detrimental to good order on the campus.
- Unauthorized use of or damaging university’s moveable or immovable property. n. All such other activities, which the Vice Chancellor may consider as breach of discipline.
The authority to impose punishment or penalty shall be exercised by the officers to the extent given below:
- A record in the Red Book maintained by the Student Advisor or any authorized officer.
- Fine, which may amount to Rs 500-00 or more.
- Expulsions from the class, hostels for a specified period.
- Detention from Examination.
- Cancellation of Examination results or withdrawal of certificate granted: and
- Expulsion or rustication from the University for a specified period or for good.
The Student Advisor or any authorized officer shall, from time-to-time prepare a list of places which, in his opinion should be “out of bound” for students and shall place it before the Vice Chancellor for approval.
- The Vice Chancellor may:
- Fine a student up to Rs 500-00 or more for each single offence and deprive him/her of privileges and positions open to students.
- Detain a student from a University Examination.
- Cancel the admission of a student or refuse to admit a student without giving any reason.
- Direct a Principal to cancel the admission of a student or direct the Principal not to admit a student;
- Debar, expel or rusticate a student for specified period or for good.
- The students advisor or any authorized officer may:
- Fine a student up to Rs 250-00 for each single offence.
- Expel a student from the University Campus for the maximum period of 15 days.
- Make an adverse report to the Vice Chancellor regarding a candidate for admission.
- The Students Advisor or any authorized officer shall maintain a Character Role of all students of the University.
- Dean of a Faculty or Principal of Colleges may:
- Fine a student up to Rs 250-00 for each single offence: and
- Expel a student from the Faculty / College for 15 days.
- Director of the Institute / Chairpersons of the department concerned may:
- Fine a student up to Rs 100-00 for each single offence:
- Expel a student from the institute/ department for a week.
- Director Students Affairs/Provost may:
- Fine a student up to Rs 250-00 for each single offence: and
- Expel student from hostel for a month.
Immediately on approval, the authorized officer shall, from time-to-time, prepare a list of places which may not be visited without a pass during certain hours and after approval by the Vice Chancellor, notify it to all officers mentioned in clause-3.
The Director of Institute and the Chairpersons of the teaching Departments shall be responsible for the maintenance of discipline among the students of their Institute/Departments subject to the statutes and regulations of the University.
The Principals of the affiliated colleges shall be responsible for the maintenance of discipline among the students of statutes and regulations of the University.
The certificate/degree/diploma and other documents of a student involved in a case of breach of discipline may be withheld till the final disposal of the case.
If any case not covered by the fore-going regulations, the Syndicate shall, on the report of the Disciplinary Committee, take such disciplinary action against the student or students concerned as the circumstance of the case may demand.
The Syndicate may consider the appeals of the students involved in the case of breach of discipline on the recommendation of the Vice Chancellor.